Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Summer 2013- Indian Wells and San Francisco


In March, Andrew and I were the luckiest kids around!!  We had the opportunity to join my mom at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, California, and then jet off to San Francisco to meet up with our good friends the Broadbents for the weekend.

Though my family goes every year, to Indian Wells, this was my first time and I have to say... I LOVE IT! Watching tennis live is so exciting. We got to see Roger Federer, Maria Sharipova, Andy Murray, the Bryan Brothers, and so many more. My mom and I enjoyed probably the most delicious frozen lemonades I have ever had, while Andrew enjoyed that nasty looking hot dog. He assured me he loved it- surprise, surprise!

We were hot and I was adorned in dresses both days (long story!) and we were surrounded by a lot of old people. Which is never a bad thing. I pictured Andrew and I there when we are old ... sipping that lemonade ... eating that nasty hot dog ... all super slow, to avoid brain freezes or heartburn of course. Maybe I'll encourage Andrew to forgo the Jalapenos when we are old. Anyway it was a perfect get away from chilly Utah.


 


 
 

^^^ I mean come on! That relish definitely looks artificially colored to me! but don't get me wrong... if that were a corn-dog, I'd be all-in. 



^^^ Janaka photobombs are the best... always with the mouth open (koch-girl signature).



After we were thoroughly sweaty and impossibly all-tennised-out we headed up north to spend the weekend in San Francisco with the Broadbents. Oh how we love the Broadbents! We stayed at the Fairmont in Ghiradelli Square and loved it. 


Trip Highlights:

the view from the Fairmont... stunning!

walking, or should I say hiking along the northern coast of the city to the golden gate bridge and the 
Presidio and back. it took us 6 hours. and I did it in a skirt! No regrets!

The FOOD! that one sandwich place and taco-licious. 

Andrew being told how to eat his "really hot" soup by the micro-managing Chinese restaurant owner's wife. 

Going to the BiRite creamery to get ginger and salted caramel ice cream. oh and of course to stare at the cheese. 

the view of the city from the top of the Art museum's tower. 

watching Andrew's little boy face light up when we found the salt water taffy

late night conversations ... duh

feeling super duper good about my navigation abilities (after Amy showed me google maps of course)

discovering the true definition of Dim Sum after realizing how completely craze-obsessed the people of San Francisco are for it. turns out it really isn't that hard to figure out what it is.... just ask a sweet old lady in Chinatown. Her face will light up and it will make you feel like you just gave her the world. 

and OF COURSE! getting to see the famous Erin Dean Roche' Skelton. oh how I have missed that lady. Who thought that having a friend since you were 5 would be so exciting, comforting, and just plain fun! I have decided that I am going to write a book about it. The Silly Ways of Nelson and Dean. No one will really care about this book except Erin and I, and maybe our moms and husbands, but I feel strongly that it has to be written for us. Erin is such a delight and I am so glad I got to spend a night with her and Cole. We laughed, we ate, we cried. San Francisco was so good to us.

** unfortunately we were not good photographers this trip :( hence the reason why the broadbents are only featured in the park/napping photo, and the photos are weird iphone formats and filters etc.


 
 ^^^ our view from the hotel.

^^^ I wanted to watch the seals all day. 


^^^ we got a big kick out of that sign. 


^^^ Andrew in HEAVEN!

^^^ My HEAVEN!

 

 

^^^ Oh man- melt my heart and spread it on toast! My Northwesterner. 


 


^^^ I know Amy looks headless here, but I really wanted to remember this moment: sharing a sweet conversation with my long-time friend while watching/ smelling the seals.



1 comment:

  1. And Guess What? is finally alive and kicking again. woo hoo. Way to go girl! Get it done!
    Now I have to get janasgonebananas back on track after only focusing on hermanakoch.blogspot.com.

    Looking awesome little lady.

    ReplyDelete